Supporting career progression of migrants to Australia
Australia is one of the most culturally diverse societies in the world. Talented and well-educated employees who are first and second generation migrants to Australia sit side by side with their Anglo colleagues. Yet they can be under-represented in more senior roles. This award-winning program demystifies the barriers and builds the skills needed to get ahead.
Benefits of UGM's 'Cultural Diversity at Work' Program
- Identify the preferences and priorities associated with your cultural background
- Recognise and leverage the strengths of this background
- Decode the norms of communicating, relating and behaving that characterise the Australian workplace and Australian business generally
- Discover the hidden rules affecting who gets on and who gets ahead
- Develop practical skills for managing everyday teamwork and meetings in ways that display your talent and show your leadership
- Create an action plan that will help you take exciting next steps in your career
UGM's Powerful Four Step Process
- Step 1: Your personal qualities and strengths.To succeed in your career, you’ll need a strong sense of who you are and what you value, balanced by the ability to adapt to different contexts. This requires resilience and flexibility.
- Step 2: Your knowledge and insight.
We all tend to see the world through our own filters. But understanding how value systems and ways of thinking can vary across cultures can be the key that opens the door to understanding why the people around you behave the way they do. Do you understand what makes Australians ‘tick’?
- Step 3: Your ability to convey the impression of yourself that you want.
Drawing on your knowledge and insight, you can now build effective communication strategies that include how to manage meetings, how to argue for your point of view and how to persuade others.
- Step 4: Your skills in building and keeping good working relations.
Trust and rapport are important everywhere. But the ways to achieve good relationships at work vary from one culture to another. Do you know how build trust with your colleagues? You’ll learn about networking and small talk in Australia and why these are important for career success.
Customised to your needs
The UGM four step process is used to craft a program that best fits with each client's context. This means programs are tailored according to the needs of participant groupings and time available. A 3 hour (half-day) program is especially effective.
Take a look at a similar program, but tailored for managers
Get the pdf brochure here
Click here to get additional UGM cultural competence resources
Call us now on +61 2 9964 9861 to discuss your cultural diversity or gender balance challenges, confidentially and obligation free.
UGM adopts an evidence-based, cultural intelligence approach to the related issues of cultural diversity, cultural awareness and international business. This develops an Asia capable workforce as well as one which is culturally competent in global settings. We focus on the cultural competence needed to implement strategic plans. This involves developing specific intercultural (or cross cultural) skills to behave effectively and appropriately in relation to cultural differences. It may also include consideration of unconscious bias and building inclusive cultures.